[G4] SCSI to Firewire adapters on scanners

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 20:40:28 PST 2008

Kathi,

Thank you for your input. It is encouraging. The reason why I am asking
questions about the adapters is that I am hesitant in spending the bucks to
update this scanner even though it is a great product that has not been used
to excess and it is in wonderful shape for a seven year old unit. I tend to
baby my hardware and it has usually paid off. The adapter, along with a few
other gadgets will cost me in the vicinity of $200.00 in order for me to do
this! So it is a calculated risk. Why not just buy a new scanner, I ask
myself.

At any rate, I use VueScan Professional, as the old Agfa software stopped
functioning long ago. I just went to the VueScan web site and it supports
both of your scanners. I too have that Nikon CoolScan LS-2000 and both work
perfectly well with their professional version of their scanner software. It
is worth checking out. I think it cost me about $99 bucks.

http://www.hamrick.com/index.html

They also offer a free trial and limitless future upgrades. It is a first
class product.

Thanks again,

Bill
Montreal

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I'll check it out and let you know. As far as new
scanners are concerned just be aware that when you buy a new scanner or
other peripheral, it usually means you need to have newer operating systems
and newer computers. Personally, I think the top of the line older scanners
are much better than the newer ones, especially when you factor in all the
cost...plus the learning curve. Whatever does a good job and doesn't break
the bank. Ego can be very expensive.
Kathi