[G4] Panic after OSX 10.3 install; Can't open disk drive

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Wed Jan 2 10:38:08 PST 2008

Am Jan 2, 2008 um 8:15 AM schrieb Richard Klein:

> Mactracker won't tell you if a previous owner took out the
> superdrive and
> replaced it with a simple CD drive.  That seems unlikely, but it's
> possible.
> Once you get into OS X, go to the Apple menu and pick "About this
> Mac".
> Then click on "More Info" (I'm sitting at a Windows PC right now,
> so I might
> have the wording slightly wrong).  Look for "Disc Burning" to find
> out what
> drive is really in your iMac.
>
> As for ejecting the CD, you can do that in Open Firmware.  Right
> after you
> turn it on, hold down Command+Option+O+F to get into the Open
> Firmware.  It
> will tell you when to release the keys.  Type "eject cd:" to eject
> the CD,
> then type "eject cd:" again to close the tray (unless it's a slot-load
> drive).  Finally, type "shut-down" to turn off your iMac.
>
> --
> Rich

Actually, I think you can just hold command - E during boot to make
it eject.

My first thought here is, try different RAM. If you don't have extras
to put in, see if there are two sticks in there so you can try one at
a time. There's little else that's likely to cause a panic at boot
time, though clearing PRAM and NVRAM settings might help.

My last thought is, try a different install disc. And maybe that
should be your first effort after getting Panther out of the drive.
Start with the most simple, of course. If you have no other Mac boot
discs around, try a freely downloadable Linux disc. Some offer little
netboot images that are quite small and can therefore be quickly
downloaded and burned to a disc.

Eric