[G4] Sleep or leave running?

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:00:55 PST 2008

Bottom line is this.  Main cause of electronic component failure is
heat.  Common sense would dictate that if the equipment is off, it
ain't gettin' hot, unless of course there is a fire, but that is a
problem for another thread or list.  The current surge experienced
when equipment is turned on is a normal part of operation.  The
equipment is designed to be turned off and on or they would not
include a switch.  In my many years as an electronic technician, I've
seen equipment fail that was on, off and even unplugged.  Nine times
out of ten the failure was caused by heat.  The one thing that never
changed was the customer's insistence that there couldn't be much
wrong with it 'cause it worked fine yesterday.

Just a message from Doug...