[G4] Upgrading to Leopard

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Jul 20 20:48:40 PDT 2008

On 7/20/08,  diane <diane at mathermotorsports.com> wrote:
> At 4:05 PM -0700 7 20 08, John Baltutis wrote:
>>On 7/20/08, diane <diane at mathermotorsports.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  FW800, 2gb ram, how long does it take for it to restart after an
>>>  install? Fans are going like rocket launchers here. Patience was
>>>  never my virtue with a "is it hung or not" boot. :(
>>
>>Which computer? PPC or ICBM? Normally, based on my experience beta-testing the
>>cat on an unsupported G4, 450 MP, startup can take 2-6 minutes or longer. As
>>for the runaway fans, see the results at
>><http://search.info.apple.com/?q=fans&type=&search=Search&lr=lang_en&search=Go>.
>
> PPC G4 FW800
>
> 20 minutes times two

Maybe it's time to run the Apple Hardware Test suite on your machine. I never
had it take that long.

> I rebooted from an external Panther drive and repaired permissions.

Bad move. Never run an earlier OS's Disk Utility on a latter OS.

> Then booted into Leopard
> Then lost internet
> Rebooted again
> Lost keyboard and mouse
> Repairing permissions from Panther at the moment.

Don't.  You've probably hosed up the OS. Strongly suggest erasing it and doing
an E&I, followed by migration

>>>  I did an upgrade from Tiger. It did not give me an options for a
>>>  upgrade or clean install, just did an upgrade on its own.
>>
>>Definitely wrong; however, you need to select it as an optional or customized
>>installation. See <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1545?viewlocale=en_US> for
>>details.
>
> I had a customize button to select, but in the past wasn't there an
> upgrade or archive option?

AFAIK, Upgrade current version, Archive & Install, and Erase & Install are
always available in Panther, Tiger, and Leopard.