[G4] Wanted: parts for G4 DP500

Brian Deuel fusekigames at briandeuel.com
Mon Jul 28 21:18:23 PDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:58:17 -0700, "Ronald Steinke"
<ronsteinke at mac.com> said:
> On 28 Jul, 08, at 15:51, Brian Deuel wrote:
>
> > That's what I did. I found an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro on Craigslist for
> > $25
> > and just flashed it myself.
>
> I have never flashed a PC card for use in a Mac. Can you give an
> explanation of how to do that?

Everything you need to know is at http://themacelite.wikidot.com/start

A PC with a PCI video card is required. I used an old IBM Netvista board
with an S3 Savage PCI card. You'll need the PCI video card to see what
you're doing. Onboard video DOES NOT work.

Before buying a card, be sure to look at the known working and
non-working cards pages. The easiest card to flash is the ATI Radeon
9800 Pro 128meg, but there are many variations, and not all can be
flashed.

You'll need to download the flashing program for your specific card make
(Nvidia or ATI), and the Mac ROM. The ROMs are available at the Mac
Elite page, but you'll want to get the latest flashing utility from the
mfg websites.

Also, running my cards on G4s, pins 3 and 11 on the cards needed to be
disabled. The page will show you how to tape off the pins, but I just
cut the traces behind the pins instead.

If you go this route, and buy a card, let me know and I'll talk you
through getting the BIOS ROM, the flashing program, and getting it all
set up.

----
Brian Deuel
http://www.briandeuel.com