[G4] firmware: update needed?

Karen H piddlepot at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:27:20 PDT 2008

Hello. I have a Powermac G4 Gigabit Ethernet (dual, 450) that is running OS 10.3.9. To my knowledge its firmware has never been updated. In system profiler it indicates Boot ROM Version is 3.3.4f1

Question:
1) I believe this means the firmware is not up to date. True?
2) Since all seems to be running smoothly, do I need to update the firmware to the 4.2.8 version?

I'm reading threads indicating I should update firmware, but my hard drive is not partitioned and it appears I need to run the firmware update from an installed version of OS 9.2 (which I do have an install disc for). I'm not sure how to do this since I'm already running 10.3.9 now (i.e.: do i need to wipe the hard drive in order to create a second partition, and start fresh, to get this firmware?).

Is it easier than I think and I'm missing something? Is the firmware update beneficial if I'm not experiencing snags?

Thanks for any suggestions you have...

-Karen