[G4] two 500 gb drives

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 06:13:31 PDT 2008

Well I use, and like, the ATTO ExpressPCI UL3D.

This is a u160 dual channel card. Critically, it's also a 64bit wide PCI card, which is a great match for the G4's slower (33MHz) but wider (64bit) PCI slots. So it's the equivalent of a 66MHz 32bit slot found in more modern machines. You can stripe two drives across the two channels and get the equivalent of a u320 drive. If you only have one drive you can use the cheaper UL3S.

ATTO (unlike Adaptec) have all the modern drivers you might need downloadable. They seem to go for $15-$25 on eBay these days. Remember you also need a good quality U160 cable and terminator.

And might as well get at least a 10K rpm disk, if not 15K :-)

John