[G4] video card question

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Oct 16 13:07:10 PDT 2008

Am Oct 16, 2008 um 11:06 AM schrieb Richard Klein:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Eric Smith <eric-s-
> smith at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have the Radeon 9800 Pro in my G4 Sawtooth. It is a solid,
>> dependable card. An excellent choice, I would say.
>
> I have the same in my FW800 (I used the same card in my Quicksilver,
> and a Sawtooth before that).  It's been great, but it has a fan for
> cooling.  I don't think the 9200 has a fan, and, from a reliability
> viewpoint, it's nice to have no moving parts to fail.
>
> --
> Rich

I for one must second this warning about moving parts. I have a
Radeon 9800 Pro that's needed a replacement heat sink due to its
original fan konking out. Didn't want to turn freely for some reason.
That card also needs a drive power connector to be plugged in.

I'm seeing a distinct lack of nVidia cards for sale from OWC. They
even suggest using a PCI Radeon 9200 card in a Power Mac G5. Ugh!
That or a 9600 Pro AGP. They show the 9200 or the 9800 for my own G4.
Same for Sawtooth. If they sell nVidia, they seem to be keeping it a
secret.

Eric W.