[G4] Browser software choices.

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 05:41:53 PDT 2008

Choice of browser is a valid topic for users to consider. I'm very fond of Safari. It seems to be very good (fast) at downloading files. But I'm finding that I can't use the latest versions on my machine that is limited to Panther (for other s/w compatibility reasons).

On the other hand the latest version of Firefox (a free download) runs fine in Panther, and has an identical version for Linux and Windows PC, (which I'm also forced to use). So it's very useful to only have to get used to one browser for all platforms. Apple has no incentive to keep their software/hardware requirements low, but Firefox (and other alternatives) do.

I've also been trying out Camino, which is optimized for G4 computers. It does seem fast but has some compatibility issues with some sites.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

PS Classic users should look at iCab. Just about the only "modern" browser around now.