[G4] Back to Safari Crashes

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Sep 9 06:19:33 PDT 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Steve Jensen wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2008, at 10:42 AM, James Asherman wrote:
>>
>> Try trashing the prefs file.
>> In one of the library/prefs folders.
>> On Sep 8, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Steve Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>> Yesterday, Safari 1.3.2 started crashing at every launch attempt. I
>>> tried a restart, fixed disk & permissions with Disk Utility, ran
>>> Cocktail, and rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior.  I tried to
>>> launch between each utility but no luck. I created a new account and
>>> restarted, nothing.  Permissions, caches, and anything else Safari I
>>> could think of were dumped, still zilch. I tried to dump the plug-
>>> ins from the smbl folded, but could only find one, taboo, and that
>>> didn't help.  Only Finder was running during each test launch.
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> This is on a G4 AGP 400, OSX.3.9, 1.25Gb ram, 120 & 70 Gb HDD, lots
>>> of other stuff.
>>>
>>> tia,
>>> --
>>> Steve Jensen
>>> Photo Dynamik
>>> 2608 S. 162nd
>>> New Berlin, WI 53151
>>> sjensen at photodynamik.com
>
> Hi James,
> Thanks for replying.  I trashed as many prefs as I could find.  No
> effect!!  Still looking for an answer.
> --

At this point, Safari itself may have been corrupted.  After looking
at the Console logs as suggested by another responder, you might try
reinstalling Safari from the OS X 10.3.x Panther media.  Or download
the latest version that works with Panther from Apple.

By the way, do you recall making any changes before the crashing
began?  Any other incidents?

Al Poulin