[G4] Black Display/Sleep mode problem

Roxylee roxylee at frontiernet.net
Tue Sep 16 16:08:35 PDT 2008

Before taking my display to a repair shop, I thought I'd ask for
advice here. I was given a 2002 DP MDD G4 running 10.5. pumped up
processor and RAM, with an Apple LCD display. I ran the Apple software
update  to 10.5.4. Everything was fine for a few days, then the
battery started going, so I reset the time and date manually. The
computer wouldn't connect to the internet until I reset time and date,
then rebooted. This went on for a few days. I put it in sleep mode to
avoid rebooting, and I think the display might be stuck in sleep mode,
because while the power and brightness lights are on, (dimmed) the
screen stays black. Unfortunately, the monitor on the kids computer
has a different connection, so I can't hook it up to mine to test the
computer. I tried the Apple LCD on theirs, with the same results. I
have ordered a new battery, but have no idea if that will resolve the
sleep mode problem, or even if that is the problem with the display.

  I tried various recommended key combinations and  the wake button on
the keyboard, I unplugged everything overnight,  checked all
connections, changed outlets in the surge protector, pressed the CUDa
button for a second,  the cards are seated firmly. The display power
button comes on and the screen remains totally black. When pressed
again, the display power button won't power down the computer. Has
anyone ever encountered this problem or does anyone have any ideas to
try? Thank you in advance.:-)