[G4] problem starting 12" iBook in single user mode

Maretta Holden marettah at qwest.net
Tue Sep 16 21:18:24 PDT 2008

Sorry for second post but needed to correct subject from 'safe mode'
to 'single user mode'.

Hi -

Last year I purchased a 12" (?13") iBook for my grandaughter to use
at my house.
I set it up with her as a regular user and myself as the administrator.

This week I wanted to perform some maintenance using the AppleJack
shell script and was unable to start the iBook up in single user
mode. It appears that the power button is a little sticky and the
coordination of apple-S with power on to get into single user mode is
not engaging.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, is there a known fix.
There is an Apple Store nearby if a hardware 'fix' is necessary.

- Maretta