[G4] Spinning Beach Ball for Everything - HELP ! ! !

J.R.Rosen dilloman at armadillo-press.com
Wed Sep 17 10:51:26 PDT 2008

GOOD AFTERNOON LISTERS !

I have a G4-1gHz-MP (2002 Quicksilver), running 10.4.11 (8S165) with
1.5GB RAM.  I performed the security updates last week, along with
the iTunes 8.0 update so I could load the latest iPhone software update.

All was great until this morning... for no certain reason everything
came to a screeching halt when everything I clicked on turned into a
beach ball!  The beach balls are spinning from 15 seconds up to
minute - this is very frustrating!  Just scrolling down an email
causes a beach ball!

I am in Houston where we just finished with a hurricane, and our DSL
is kind-of "iffy" right now.  I unplugged the computer and moved it
to high-ground during the storm, and there was no damage whatsoever.
When I plugged it back in on Monday (9/15), it told me that the date/
time was not correct, but it performed very well up until today
(9/17).  I do not turn-off the computer, I just log-out in the
evenings.  Yes, it's on a surge-protector.

I have restarted into single user mode and run Applejack - all OK.
Then no changes, so I went into single user mode and just ran a "fsck
-f"... once again A-OK!

Pulled up Activity Monitor... "kernel_task" is the memory-hog @
109.41mb of "real" memory and 1.05gb of "virtual" memory.  I did a
google-search for kernel_task and got a "geek-report" that actually
said nothing in layman's terms.

Could this be a battery problem?  If not, any ideas would be
appreciated.

Please help... I'm pulling out my hair at an alarming rate... this is
very frustrating!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP ! ! !

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics