[G4] MDD G4 has some quirks

Kevin Walsh walsh_kevin_t at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 02:58:28 PDT 2008

Just got my dirty paws on a Mirror Drive Door model PowerMac, wanna run down a list of quirks with you brainiacs to see if there's any fixes round the bend.

stubborn power button: The normal slight touch won't work to turn it on. The guy I bought it from showed me how to firmly push the power button while pulling at the back, I've found a hard knock will do the trick.  The button it's self is a bit shaky and seems after all the use has lost pressure.  Is this a replaceable part?  Would a newer keyboard with a power-on work instead. the old iMac keyboard i've hooked up won't power it up.

loud power supply: I guess it's he power supply, might just be the fan - whichever - it starts up quiet but will gradually make it to warp 9.5 and is just annoying - that's all

attempting 2 gigs of RAM:  It came with 2 sticks of 512 ram, I threw another 2 sticks in there and it won't recognize a 4th stick.   Now, I've heard about this before, but forget what the deal is.

opening the cd tray:  There's no eject button on the exterior as most of you are familiar.  I'm able to trick it to open through iTunes.  As indicated above, I'm using an old iMac keyboard - soon to upgrade that - should one with the eject key work?

Adobe CS3: thinking about buying it, any reason why it would not work?  specs below.

OS: 10.4.11
Dual 1 GHz, PowerPC G4 (2.1), 1.5 GB ram, firmware: 4.4.8f2
video - AGP, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, (no PCI card)
tons of HD space, not worried about that

appreciate any insight - Kevin