[G4] Power Mac G4 AGP

LeBron Rod towerwalker at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 06:47:42 PDT 2008

You stated update, is this something I can get through the Apple Support site?

From: Tony Gamble <seemybrain at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [G4] Power Mac G4 AGP
To: towerwalker at yahoo.com, "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers." <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 9:13 AM

I think you need this one for OS X:

http://sonnettech.com/support/downloads/processorupgradecards.html#crescendoencore

... but you need to update to Panther 10.3 or higher first (a very impressive step up from 10.2 anyway).

OS 9 seems to be increasingly hard to find these days.

 - Tony

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:26 AM, LeBron Rod <towerwalker at yahoo.com> wrote:

I recently purchased a Power Mac G4 AGP 500MHz Single Core CPU, 100Mhz Bus, 60G Hard drive, 2G RAM (upgraded by me), running OS 10.2.8. I then purchased an upgrade Sonnet 1.8GHz CPU. The problem that I have run into is that the firmware that came with the new CPU requires that you boot from OS 9 in the Start Disk. I do not have OS 9. Apparently, the Seller of this unit upgraded the OS without using the original disks. I know very little about Apple products, but I really like this machine and I am anxious to learn a great deal more about this product since I find the OS is far superior to anything that Microsoft has. I need a crash course on this machine, particularly how to upgrade the CPU. I would also like to purchase the OS bundle that includes OS 9.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.