[G4] Power Mac G4 AGP

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:07:29 PDT 2008

Greetings Rod ( + )!( + )

I could be mistaken but are you saying that you need a copy of OS 9 to
install the Sonnet 1.8 CPU?

If I'm correct then the other responses that you have received have no
meaning what so ever.

When I installed my new PowerLogix, 1.2GHz processor it was necessary
to start from OS 9 so that the new CPU could be configured to the G4
platform. Then once the new CPU was configured I could start from and
run any of the Apple Operating Systems (well I've only tried OS 9,
through OS X 10.5.6) without any problems.

Here are the installation instructions that came with the PowerLogix
processor.

Firmware Patching: Since these CPU upgrades are based on the 7447A and
7457, you must patch the system firmware before installing the CPU
module. The included Powerlogix CD is bootable and has a patcher
included. The install guide covers this procedure, but basically it's
similar to applying an apple firmware update. You hold in the
programmers button/switch on the front of the case while pressing the
power button. Hold both until you hear the high pitched tone, then
release them and hold the C key to boot from the PL CD. The PL CD
boots into open firmware and automatically runs a script that shows a
menu of options. Pressing the "4" option applies all the patches
(system firmware, OS 9.x NVRAM patch, etc.). If the firmware has
already been patched the script checks for that and displays a menu to
remove any or all of the patches.