[G4] Sawtooth cycles on-off

BILL HOLLOWAY bjhfrog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:48:02 PDT 2009

EITHER YOUR CONNECTION FROM THE POWER SUPPLY TO HD IS LOOSE OR MARGINAL OR
YOUR HARD DRIVE IS ABOUT TO FAIL.  WHEN DID YOU LAST REPLACE THE SMALL
INTERNAL BATTERY
THAT RUN THE CLOCK AND PRAM?  DEFINITELY SOUNDS LIKE HARDWARE AND NOT
SOFTWARE
I DOUBT THE OS IS THE CAUSE BUT IF CAN'T FIND HARDWARE PROBLEM YOU CAN
ALWAYS RELOAD THE OS.  GOOD LUCK....................NAVY SEALS ALWAYS
WIN!!!!

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Peter Webster <petermwebster at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Wise-List:
>
> My 500GHz Sawtooth, 1 GB sdram, OS 10.3.9, external LaCie FireWire 120GB,
> esternal Maxtor USB 160GB, 17" flat Studio monitor, is sometime cycling
> on-off.
>
> The "on" button on the computer case stays lit, I can hear the CPU powering
> down, then up, then down, and last time, the monitor went dark and I had to
> pull the plug.
>
> When I booted up today: all OK.
>
> Ran Disk Utility and TechTool Express: all OK.
>
> What is going on?
>
> I have everything backed up to the 2 external drives, but still: this is a
> resuced unit, all thrown out (!) and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years,
> and I want to keep it up and running until it is glowing plastic dust.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PMW
>
> --
> peter m. webster