[G4] LEOPARD WARNING

Eric Smith eric-s-smith at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 15:13:35 PST 2009

I see *no* appreciable performance difference between Leopard and Tiger
on my Power Mac G4 Sawtooth, with 1.0 GHz CPU, 1.3 GB RAM, and 1.5 Gbps
SATA drive.

Leopard is a memory hog compared to Tiger; if you have less than 1 GB
RAM, especially if it's as low as 512 MB, then I could believe you would
see a noticeable performance loss.

It's true that the most unfortunate consequence of upgrading to Leopard
is the loss of Classic mode. I keep a separate Tiger partition and boot
that if I need to run Classic, which is rare for me. But someone who
depends heavily on Classic apps should think seriously about whether
Leopard is worth it, or investigate Sheepshaver (which I looked at but
decided it was too much trouble and too much of a hack to bother with).

Eric S.