[G4] Re: A Simple request

Eric Smith eric-s-smith at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 19:15:25 PST 2009

Mr EMan wrote:

Well, first of all, one of my pet peeves: messages with extremely
long lines and no carriage returns. Having to continuously scroll
left and right to read the message is really annoying.

> Dear Roxylee, Posting Police here...
>
> I am far less delicate in stating that I support your cause completely Not trimming is overwhelmingly a matter of laziness, ego-centricity, and people who really wouldn't qualify for internet access were there a licensing exam they had to pass. They've no concept of bandwidth waste, corruption of the digest mode nor effectively communicating as they've always copied what others did. If they are expecting me to do what they themselves are unwilling to do they why should I try to.  I have other lists who are arguing over posting before or after the quote...geeeze!!!

I'm not in the least worried about wasting a tiny amount of
bandwidth compared to all the spam that is posted all the
time on the Internet. And thankfully we don't have "licensing
exams" set up by self-appointed authorities.

>  I believe the context is best retained by the previous post in the thread. It is nothing to have a 13 page digest on one thread where 4 folks are quoting quotes of quotes of quotes.  I submit that context IS far more certainly "lost" when buried in three or four levels of quotes.

For a website or newsgroup, maybe. But definitely not for an
email list. If you delete a message and then the next reply does not
contain the entire thread, you have no way to recover the context.
I much prefer deleting all but the last message of an email thread,
and have that last message contain the entire thread.

> Please no more than 2 nested quotes-- preferably don't use a quote unless necessary to illustrate ones own point!! In three words-- if it is a judgment call--make the call!!!

I disagree. Nested quotes are very useful, especially in
multiple levels.

Eric S.