[G4] 10.5 to upgrade or not to upgrade

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 13:30:02 PST 2009

On 1/6/09, Luke Rademacher <lz4broc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Technically you cannot upgrade to 10.5 because your CPU is slower
> than 800Mhz.
>
> However many of the G4 upgrades from OWC should work proper with
> 10.5. If you feel the need to spend the Cash to upgrade your Trusty
> G4 then do so. But bear in mind, no matter how many dollars you spend
> on a New CPU just to run a Faster OS, your computer will still be
> slow due to other factors: System Bus, RAM, HD controllers.

Apple doesn't support anything less than 867 MHz, not 800, but it's technically
doable.

As Richard Klein noted, you don't need to spend money on those upgrades. You
can use the hacks described at
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071214143723301><http://www.tidbits.com/webx?14@@.3cb6ddd5/5>
or
<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302>. That's what I did to run
Leopard on my G4, 450 MP. The hacks either change the processor speed
information within the installer or changes the information that's stored on
themachine to 867 or higher so that the installer doesn't balk.