[G4] AT&T/Yahoo AND SOMETHING CALLED WEB BEACONS...

Bruce bsugarberg at core.com
Sat Jan 10 12:11:34 PST 2009

Hello,

"A Web bug is an object that is embedded in a web page or e-mail and is
usually invisible to the user but allows checking that a user has viewed
the page or e-mail. One common use is in e-mail tracking. Alternative
names are Web beacon, tracking bug, tracking pixel, pixel tag, 1×1 gif,
and clear gif."

"A Web bug is any one of a number of techniques used to track who is
reading a Web page or e-mail, when, and from what computer. They can
also be used to see if an e-mail was read or forwarded to someone else,
or if a Web page was copied to another Website."

"Web bugs are frequently used in spamming (sending unsolicited
commercial e-mail) as a way of "pinging" to find which spam recipients
open (and presumably read) spam before deleting it."

"Web bugs are used by e-mail marketers, spammers, and phishers to verify
that e-mail addresses are valid, that the content of e-mails has made it
past the spam filters, and that the e-mail is actually viewed by users.
When the user reads the e-mail, the e-mail client requests the image,
letting the sender know that the e-mail address is valid and that e-mail
was viewed. The e-mail need not contain an advertisement or anything
else related to the commercial activity of the sender. This makes
detection of such e-mails harder for mail filters and users."

Please read the following, which explains how these bugs works, AND
ways in which they can be defeated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_bug

Bruce Sugarberg