[G4] G5 or G4?

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 13 11:56:10 PDT 2009

Hi Ray

I have the same Quicksilver as you.  Have you considered improving it
rather than replacing it?

First step if you have not done so already would be to max out the RAM
by putting in three 512MB DIMMs

I picked up some items on ebay: a Sonnet Tempo  RAID card; a GeForce
7800 GS graphics card; and a copy of Leopard.  Sadly you can not boot
from drives attached to this RAID card (I have two drives acting as one
volume [RAID 0 - striped] for extra speed) but you can move the
Applications folder and the user folders, etc. to the faster volume.

The graphics card was the cheaper PC version so I had to flash the BIOS
chip with a Mac ROM.  Also added a DVD-RW drive and hacked the Leopard
installer to make it install on a system with slower than minimum spec.
processor.  Information on all this is readily available on the net, but
I can supply some notes if you are interested.

If you want a replacement (used) machine and have the money I would go
straight for a G5, it will last you longer and you could max it out to
improve performance at later date if necessary.  To some extent your
choice may depend upon what bargains you can find!  Have fun.

Best regards

Alan