[G4] snow leopard

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Sep 22 15:19:47 PDT 2009

Eric Smith wrote:
> Keith Whaley wrote:
>
>> Words like "better" require a comparison be made.
>>
>> In this case, we're comparing Intel systems with NON-Intel systems.

> I wasn't; I was comparing an Intel system running 10.5 with the same
> Intel system running 10.6.

To be pedantic, OS 10.5 and 10.6 are both Intel systems, correct?
But to continue in the same vein, OS 10.5 carries PPC code with it, while OS
10.6 doesn't, correct?

>> Are you telling me that 5.x with PPC code inside exhibits no slowdown
>> from 6.x with that same PPC code removed? That they will be equally fast?

> I'm saying that if there is a performance difference it is not due
> to the presence or absence of PPC code.

Yup. That's the way I read it.

>> Or, are we comparing Tiger with both/either Leopard?

> Whoever mentioned Tiger?
>
> Eric S.

'Twar me. It just slipped out, it did... I was going back to an OS that I knew
was NOT Intel, and DID have PPC code. I sort of temporarily forgot that
carried over to the 5.0 OS.

Ooops!

keith