[G4] Spotlight Usage

B G briang113 at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 14 20:11:55 PDT 2010

Here is a brief synopsis of spotlight.

Spotlight will begin indexing any volume as soon as it is mounted,
with certain exceptions: CDs, DVDs, and network-attached or shared
volumes are not indexed when mounted. Volume means either a hard drive
with a single partition, or a specific partition on a hard drive with
multiple partitions.

You can under Tiger stop an indexing from happening but you may end up
with some anomalous data. this has been corrected under leopard

1. Let indexing begin on the volume.

2. Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications >
Utilities folder.

3. At the Terminal prompt, type the following command, exactly as
written:

		sudo mdutil -i off /path_to_volume
where /path_to_volume is the path of the volume being indexed.

4. Press Return.

5. If prompted for a Password, type your Admin password, then press
Return.
You will receive the response:

	•/path_to_volume/: Indexing disabled for volume.
under Tiger or

	 /path_to_volume: Indexing disabled.
under Leopard.

Spotlight will immediately cease to index the specified volume.

6. If you are using Leopard, skip to step 9.
          Otherwise, erase the partial index created by Spotlight
under Tiger. At the Terminal

           prompt, type the following command, exactly as written:

	             sudo mdutil -E /path_to_volume
     where /path_to_volume is the path of the volume being indexed. [1]

7. Press Return.

8. If prompted for a Password, type your Admin password, then press
Return.
          You will receive the response:

	        /path_to_volume/: Volume index removed.

9.  At the Terminal prompt, type exit then press Return.

10. Quit (Command-Q) Terminal.

If you use the volume frequently just leave it mounted all the time