[G4] 1.25 MDD Hard Drive Replacement?

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:05:50 PDT 2010

Greetings Jonny,

FW 800 is an Okay way to go except AFAIK all of the FW enclosures take
IDE/ATA drives and as you have stated, the newer faster big drives are
SATA. I don't want to speak for Ron but I think that what he means is
get a PCI Card that has a connection for an external SATA drive. This
is a good way to go but I would recommend that first you go to http://groups.google.com/
  and join the "LEM SWAP" Low End Mac Swap group and post a Want add
for a PCI SATA card. Thats where I got mine, however the one that I
got doesn't have a connection for an external drive. Therefore the
SeaGate 750Gb drive that I have is mounted in an external case that is
a SATA to  USB and is not that fast. The next short coming is that USB
is not bootable for the G4 platform.

Internal I have (count em) 2 SATA, 2 ea. 500Gb (Samsung, Seagate) =
1Tb and 2 ea. 120Gb (Western Digital & Maxtor) = 240Gb for a total of
1.24Tb internal and external I have the SATA 750Gb Seagate, a Maxtor
300Gb and a 80Gb Samsung. All external drives are connected via USB.
The external case that the Maxtor 300Gb can be connected via FW but my
1999 G4 only has FW400 and I have a PCI card that does USB 2.0 which
is faster than FW 400.

I have an ACARD SATA, PCI which I got through LEM SWAP for $25.00 in
November '08

Cheers

Harry
San Jose, Ca