[G4] what does this message mean?

K.Reitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Fri Dec 30 17:25:35 PST 2011

On Dec 30, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Margaret Krakowiak <imago at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> All of a sudden, when I open my browser I get this message:
> "Redirect Server: Rapid Logic/1.1 MIME-version: 1.0 Connection: close Content-Type: text/html Location:http://launchmodem/redirectBS.htm"
> and I can't go to any URL address online.
> Also, when I tried going to a location in my history, it started downloading the sites elements!
>
> My email still connects and works fine.

~Snipped

> Any good person here have a clue?
>
> margaret

Margaret,

Do you use Bell South by chance? I ask because in searching this problem it seems to be a recurring message. It appears to be a DNS problem with Bell South which affects both Apple and That other company, I think they call Microsoft.

A possible fix is to clear your DNS Cache in this manner.

Try bringing up a Terminal shell (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and flushing the DNS cache by entering the command lookupd -flushcache.

I hope that helps. No matter or harm as clearing DNS cache is OK anytime

Kristen