[G4] safari upgrade path & crash problem

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Fri Nov 25 15:43:02 PST 2011

At 16:41 -0600 11/25/11, Tony Dabney wrote:
>I have G4/125GHz and finally figured out where and how to upgrade OS X
>10.1 to 10.3.9 and Safari 1.1 automatically upgraded to 1.3 (v312).
>I can't log into my bank and netflix says it does not support this
>(older) brouser.
>I can't seem to figure out what the upgrade path is and how to do it.
>Also to upgrede to a newer OS X 10.4 or whatever - is it free or a new
>OS X purchase and what Safari would it have included.

It's likely to remain serious..  I'm using 10.3.9 so my SE/30 file server can continue to work and that means Safari 1.3.2.  10.4 kills Classic OS file servers by turning off AFP over ethernet.

I haven't tried banking on the G4 recently but Google searches have stopped working and that hurts.  For about 3 weeks Google has been  showing the first search page for a few seconds and then manages to crash Safari.

Firefox 2.0.xx is much better and might talk to your bank. Firefox 3 or so running on my Ubuntu box is fine with my bank, credit cards, and broker.
--

-->A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.<--