[G5] Drives????

Jon Allen Boone ipmonger at delamancha.org
Wed Jul 27 07:26:10 PDT 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 02:32, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> [1] I can never remember what JBOD stands for, it's an external HD
> box, typically with fans that pull air from the front over the
> HD's. The disks themselves are in canisters, that can easily be
> removed from the box.  They're often rack mounted.

   Just a Bunch Of Disks (JBOD) usually refers to a concatenated disk
set.  It's similar to RAID 0 [striped disk set] except that the
writes are not interleaved across the disks.  When the first drive in
the JBOD set is full, writing begins on the 2nd, etc.  Like RAID 0,
there is no redundant storage of data, so if a drive fails the data
on that drive is lost.

   Back to the original discussion, I had a HD failure in my 12"
iBook G4 800 MHz within about 6 months of purchase.  About 15 months
after purchasing my eMac, it too had a HD failure.  All my other Macs
have worked reliably without HD failure since purchase (the oldest
one being 2.5 years old now).

   On the PC side, I've seen slightly more drive failures (a total of
3, IIRC) but not substantially so.  I tend to prefer Maxtor drives
because they are easy for me to come by and no less reliable than
other options in my experience.

   All of these systems were/are run at home in a residential setting
(such as central AC for the entire house) and the "computer
room" (typically synonymous with "my office") ends up noticeably
hotter than the room with the thermostat.

--jon