[G5] Buying RAM

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sun Jun 12 22:15:52 PDT 2005

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Philip J Robar wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Allan Hise wrote:
>
> > I have a new Power Mac G5 with 1 GB RAM and I am seeing an incredibly
> > large number of pageins, so it looks like I need more RAM.
>
> No, no, no, no. :-) Pageins are just normal behavior for an OS that
> uses demand paging.

Oops, I got the ins & outs mixed up. I can never remember if it referrs to
into the disk or into the RAM. Hmmm...

In simple terms operating systems that use

> What you need to look for are excessive pageouts, which indicate that
> the operating system is having to move data from memory back to disk
> to make room for new data.

It is still pretty high... Plus, my free RAM drops to zero while doing the
stuff I bought the G5 to do (photo & video editing), and since 1/4 of my
RAM slots are free, it can't really hurt. (The price for an extra 2 GB is
pretty much peanuts compared to the new mac, at least when you buy it
from someplace other than Apple!)

Thanks for the response!

Allan