[G5] Waiting for my 1.8 Ghz. G5.

B Yen byen00 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 14:29:49 PST 2005

Brian Durant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the list and am waiting for delivery of my 1.8 Ghz. G5.
> Just curious as to opinions about the G5 and whether people are
> satisfied or had a lot of hardware problems. In a Google search, I
> have seen that there were some that experienced hardware problems like
> smoke coming out of the box, but my dealer claims he hasn't had any
> problems with that. Is that an issue that is now in the past or are
> there things I should look out for?

You're looking at "local statistics" (just one or a few datapoints)..not
global statistics.  I bet if you did a poll of every laptop & desktop
machine, you have the same local-statistics for "smoke coming out of a
machine".  It's the % of power-supplies that fail, & "grenade the
computer".  As a matter of fact, I just got a notice from Dell for a laptop
I bought in aug 2001.  It stated that the power supplies overheat & can
cause a fire.  Man, mine's been on for 3 yrs STRAIGHT..no overheating or any
problems.  I bet some lawyer got a hold of a few "noise floor" cases of
overheating powersupplies & threatened a class action lawsuit, which
instigated this recall.

"I'm locally pessimistic,,but globally optimistic!"
-- Dr. Jordan Pollack, CS professor, Brandeis professor

"you need perspective [ global knowledge ]"
-- Dr. David Baltimore, Caltech president, ABC Nightline interview (& Wall
Street Journal article)
[ Re: SARS over reaction by the media.  the statistics were no different
than any other virus.., the media took the local statistics & blundered into
making it into "Chicken Little saying the sky is falling" ]

Now..that overdrive General Motors transmission farce: a 50% failure rate
within the 1st 9 months..NOW THAT's an alarming statistic.  One guy hoisted
his cadillac on a crane, & advertised the GM lemon.  Those Firestone tire
that de-laminated & caused a number of accidents..bad QC at the Firestone
plants. (I actually had TWO of those..I had a de-lamination on a front tire
& rear tire..the latter, I was able to control the rebounding.  Many of the
accidents, the cars wiped out because the drivers couldn't control the
exploding tire)

Dr. Sallie Baliunas (Harvard Univ, SAO = Smithsonian Astrophysical
Observatory) published an article saying that there is no valid scientific
evidence, of petroleum fuel emissions linked to global warming.  If you look
at the Bigger Picture of natural disasters (volcanic eruptions like Mt. St.
Helens, earthquakes), all the emissions by humans is simply background
noise.  I will say, that it's a good idea to limit human-based emissions
(it;s just responsible behavior).

"We need HARD evidence"
"Yeah, it's pretty much a rock"
-- Dr. Edwin Krupp, Griffith Observatory head
[ Re: Face on Mars hallucination & how NASA specifically re-photographed
that region to debunk the crackpot conspiracy theorists that NASA is
covering up ancient Mars civilizations ]