[G5] speed

david citizen.gkar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 05:29:51 PDT 2006

On 4/19/06 7:56 AM, "Jerry Bunn" <jbunn at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Just upgraded my dual 2.5 to OS X Tiger 10.4.3 and I'm disappointed
> in the speed drop in almost everything.  I get the spinning beach
> ball more than ever.  My computer's remaining Hard Drive space
> initially dropped about 80 GB when I first booted under Tiger, then
> dropped another 40 GB the second time I booted, but now is back up 70
> GB to the good.  Crazy!
>
> Is this typical for an upgrade to Tiger???  I kinda wish I had stayed
> with Panther.

Your experience doesn't match mine. I found that on both my G4 notebook and
G5 dualie desktop that Tiger's Finder is faster and less likely to hang
(beachball of death) than Panther's. Tiger also boots faster than Panther
did.

However, lots of people initially reported similar stories to yours. People
who chose the upgrade option tended to have the most problems while those
who chose the archive and install tended to have the least number of
problems. There are also lots of third party updates/upgrades you'll need to
look into. You'll find a very informative discussion here:

<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=607363>

Cheers
david