[G5] Cables and Speed

Steve Adams qwas99 at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 5 13:54:55 PDT 2008

Cat5 cables are designed for 100 Megbits/sec. If someone took the time
to put the connectors on correctly and used a high quality cat5 cable,
it could do 1000 Megbits/sec but no guarantee.

If you have some Cat5 cables lying around, you could try them and see
what happens. It won't blow anything up. Worse case, the computers
just won't communicate.

A cat6 cable is designed to do 1000 Megbits/sec or Gigabit. With a
cat6 cable, you will have no problems.

It's your choice if you want to spend money on a high quality Cat6
cable, or try cables sitting around for nothing.

You can use Activity Monitor (in the utilities folder) to check your
network transfer rates.

Steve Adams