[G5] G5 June 2004 dual 2.0 Processor problem

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Sep 22 11:29:25 PDT 2008

> I know this is probably old news to some of you , but it is driving me
> nuts trying to figure it out. Other than replacing one piece at a tim,
> which will be too expensive, does anyone know what is most likely the
> problem ?
>
> Background information :
>
>   •  I have run the Apple Service Diagnostics Disk for this machine -
> All tests pass Green.
>   •  I have run the Apple Hardware Test Disk for this machine - All
> tests pass Green.
>   •  I have run the TechTools Pro 4.6.1 Disk for this machine - All
> tests pass Green.
>   •  I have replaced the RAM.
>   •  I have replaced the Hard Drive.
>   •  I have reinstalled the operating system (originally Tiger), then
> tried and now is 10.5.5.
>
> and yet, at random ( times vary, sometimes minutes, hours, and even
> days), it will freeze the cursor and then a minute or two later, the
> fans all will start ramping up until they are running full blast.
>
> It is still set up in stock configuration, as it came from the
> factory, other than the operating system and the RAM.
>
> As it stands now :
>
> G5 june 2004 DP 2.0
> 3.5 GB RAM
> two 160 GB hard drives (SATA)
> no pci cards
> 5200 video card 64 MB
>

> Any ideas how I can determine what the problem is other than parts
> swapping ?
>
> This machine runs perfect while it is running until it freezes.

This is going to sound crazy, but do you have your 10.3 install DVD that
came with the system?  I ran into this sort of a problem when I tried to
install 10.4 a year or two ago.  My problem turned out to be the *DATA* HD I
had installed in the system.  Once I replaced it I was able to install
10.4.x and it runs stable.  Though I could typically only keep it up for a
few minutes.  I think it was a Western Digital drive that was the culprit.

Zane