[G5] Love that G5 (Was: Re: G5 Digest, Vol 67, Issue 1)

J. R. Rosen dilloman at armadillo-press.com
Thu Sep 24 10:08:50 PDT 2009

My Classic apps are not CPU intensive... mainly Adobe Pagemaker 6.5
and Acrobat Distiller.  We have been using Pagemaker since version 1
when they decided to dump it, so I had over 13 years (1987 through
2000), and literally thousands of files.

One of these days I'll have to convert them over to InDesign, but I'm
trying to keep as much money out of Adobe's pockets as I can.  I do
use Adobe CS for the processor-intensive (ID, PS & Ill) apps.

The G4 does pretty well on ID, but bogs down in PhotoShop &
Illustrator.  And lately, for some reason, Safari and Apple-Mail have
been running slow as well.  Even restarting almost every day give
slow OS X native apps.

I am not sold on using a "Classic emulation" program at all!  That
scares the bejabbers out of me.  I have enough trouble with the fonts
in Classic.  I could imagine an emulation program handling 500+ fonts
- ACK ! ! !

No, I believe I'm pretty-well going to stick with drooling over a G5
2.0-2.5 duallie.  If you need a great home to give yours to, my
address is in the signature area ;-)

A G5 would probably give me several years of great computing speed
and power.  I still have a G4-450 DP, that [almost] seems as fast as
this G4-1gHz DP, and that puppy is 10 years young this December!
Apple make some awesome products!

On Sep 24, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, J. R. Rosen wrote:
>
>> Zane, Jon or Joel I am looking for a dual G5 here in the near
>> future.  I'm like you Zane, I need Classic mode and am stuck in X.
>> 4.11 on a G5.
>>
>> Right now I'm on a dual G4 1gHz Quicksilver that's getting long-in-
>> the-tooth. It's trying to kernel panic and freeze all the time,
>> but I'm fighting against it - for now!  However, it has been an
>> awesome machine, and at 7 years young, it's a great machine.
>>
>> Yesiree-bob, the G5 dual 2.3 is looking pretty good in the very
>> near future!
>
> How CPU intensive are your classic needs?  I'm seriously considering
> breaking out either my 8500/180 or my G4/450 when I move to a Mac
> Pro.  For
> me the 8500 has real merit since I can load System 7.6 on it.  That
> means it
> will run *ALL* the classic software I might want to run with one
> possible
> exception (eXodus X-Windows client).  A lot of my software never
> made the
> move to the G4, let alone the G5.
>
> Also if your classic software runs on 68k based hardware take a
> look at
> Basilisk II.  I'm told it's better than Sheepshaver (though
> Sheepshaver will
> handle PPC apps).
>
> Zane

J. R. Rosen