[HM] Re: need imac advice ASAP!

TeeGate teegate at comcast.net
Sun May 4 12:17:04 PDT 2003

Jane,

Partitioning is a personal preference on how you want to do that. I
have my OS9 and X on two equal size partitions. But I also have another
OS9 system on my OSX partition, but it is limited on extensions. The
reason why is that if I have the OS 9 partition set up to be my classic
system for X, there is sometimes a conflict. So I keep a stripped down
9 system on the X partition so that Classic boots into that one with
limited conflicts. When I want the full 9 system I just hold down the D
key at startup and it boots into the fully loaded 9. I believe to do
this requires to have 9 on the first partition but I may be wrong.

So my suggestion from my experience would be that if you wipe the
drives and partition the drives equally, use the 9 CD to do this and
install 9 on the first partition. Then install X on the second one and
using X set the startup disk to be the X partition. So when running in
X and you want to switch to 9, just restart and hold the D key. If you
don't hold the D key it will always start in X. Others may have another
opinion on this and hopefully they will pass that on.

The only problem that I have found with two partitions is say for
example you have thousands of photo's as I have in iPhoto, your X drive
will fill up quicker than the 9 and you possibly may run out of room on
one drive. I only have a 20 gigs so with X only having 10, I have
filled that up completely with my photo's.

My CD's are hot also. Normal!

If you are new to X here is a freeware that is a must when using X. It
will allow you to switch between running Apps and the Finder.

Also, this website gives you thousands of hints on X including how to
"hack" the display of the clock.

http://www.macosxhints.com/index.php

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10005

Congratulations on your new computer. I hope this one treats you as
well and as long as your last.

Guy