X and networking question

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Sat Oct 11 11:07:37 PDT 2003

Hello all...

I have a networking question that I hope someone can point me to a correct
answer to, or maybe a web page with more info....

I have a external DSL modem plugged into a Linksys 8 port
DSL/hub/router/firewall.  One of the ports has my XP Pro box plugged into
it.  The other 5 ports are plugged into my Macs (Color Classic, Performa
575, IIci and my G4. I am running Jaguar 10.2.8 on my G4 Mac.  All the
machines share the DSL and work fine in regards to surfing, and sending and
receiving email.

About all I want to do network wise, is pull into my G4, some movie
(Quicktime, DV, and AVI) files from my XP Pro box.  I don't need to move
stuff onto the windows box from the G4.  All I want to do is access some
big move files on the XP Pro box, and move them, via the network, to the G4
machine.

I assume I need to turn file sharing on in the XP Pro box.(?).  In Jaguar,
in the utilities folder, I found "Networking" but could not  figure out how
to use it to help me pull down files from the XP Pro box.

Is the Networking icon where I want to start in trying to figure this out,
or am I way off?

A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jack in Portland Oregon

PS:  I have dropped out of many Mac email lists because of the fighting and
rudeness that goes on.  I like this group because it is friendly.  I think
folks here are kind and respectful to others.  I hope it continues to be so.