speaker problems

James Baumann james_a_baumann at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:11:29 PDT 2003

Boy, getting a new computer is lots of fun.

I have a set of 2 Yamaha speakers and a subwoofer that I used on my PowerMac
G3 to great success.  I now have a G4 tower and, lately, they have been
giving me troubles.  In some - not all cases - the vocal part of an audio
mix is almost completely mute while the rest of the song sounds relatively
normal.

This can happen when I'm playing an audio CD or MP3 out of iTunes and it has
also happened when the kids are playing a game or something from a CD (two
examples - Tony Hawk skateboarding and They Might Be Giants NO! interactive
disc).  When I unplug the speakers the sound mix is fine through the tower
speaker.

The real bitch of it is that it comes and goes.

Doesn't look like there are any options in the Sound System Preference.  Is
there some other setting I'm missing?  And I do have the speakers plugged
into the correct port because the plug won't fit in the Apple speakers port.
  This isn't a trick to get me to buy Apple speakers is it?  Or is it just
simply my speakers are on their way out?