convert DVD to DV-NTSC

Lowell Peterson lowell at peterson.net
Sat Nov 23 17:45:23 PST 2002

I want to convert one 5-second shot on a commercial DVD to DV-NTSC, but in
the absolute best video quality possible. It's for my professional
cinematography show-reel which I am creating for the first time via FCP.

I've read many DVD ripping tutorials and tried a lot of what's out there.
The best result I've achieved has been to use 0SEx to convert the DVD
chapter from my Superdrive to a M2V file. Then I tried using Media Pipe to
convert the M2V file to a MPV file. But when I open this file in QuickTime
the video quality is not good enough.

Is there a Mac software means to achieve a top-quality DVD conversion? If
not, an alternative for me is to buy a Macrovision-free DVD player and
convert the analog DVD out from that machine via a break-out box into my
Mac.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lowell Peterson ASC
Los Angeles CA