[MacDV] Re: DVD player/TV crops my DVD-R

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Tue Apr 1 13:22:36 PST 2003

>>> That is why they provide the title box indicators in the first
>>> place..
>> In case you don't know it's called "TV safe" and "Title Safe"
> wow thanks. I'm glad you knew what I meant. Were my comments of no use
> to you?
Just so James could find the function in the menus...
I don't know what they call it in iMove or other programs, but in FCP
and AfterEffects that's what they call them.

As far as "cropping" is concerned I know that in both those mentioned
above the working size is NOT true 640 X 480. If you are importing from
another program (like photoshop or illustrator) you need to make the
documents slightly larger horizontally (I forget how much) otherwise
the program stretches them to fit. The final output is 640 X 480 so you
do end up with some image cropping. As far as titles etc are concerned,
if they are not within the Title/TV safe margins you risk cropping.
Apparently all TVs are not created equal.

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599