[MacDV] Re: DVD player/TV crops my DVD-R

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Apr 1 18:01:01 PST 2003

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 08:15  PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

>> 720x480 I believe.
>
> Square pixels
> 720 x 480 NTSC
> 720 x 576 PAL
>
> Rectangular pixels
> 640 x 480
> 768 x 576
>
> TV Safe -5% overall
> Title Safe -10% overall
>
> FYI, -- Erica

Cheez and crackers Erica I sure don't wanna get in this with you but
that doesn't sound right.  I mean right off NTSC is rectangular not
square right?
and Computers are square which is why the 640 goes to 720 when you
rectangularize it. Right? That's why they tell you to work taller than
480 and then
squish it top to bottom right?
This has been an issue many times especially when I had the Toaster
which is rectangular native, and I know i have a twisted perspective.
(LOL)

I got a link
http://www.creativemac.com/2001/05_may/tutorials/totalae407/totalae407-page1.
htm
  But I don't think this guy has it all right either because he maintains
that Rectangular pixels are taller than they are wide which goes against
all experience.
  FCP displays the pixels as square .
but you can switch them to rectangular and the image gets wider not
taller.

Very sticky
Jim