[MacDV] Re: DVD player/TV crops my DVD-R

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Apr 1 20:04:44 PST 2003

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 10:40  PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 08:08 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>> Rectangular pixels are wider, not taller.
>
> Rectangular pixels on the TV are taller than they are wide - you can
> see that on some Sony TVs.  That's why an image that's ready for the TV
> looks wider on the computer - the TV "squishes" it up.
>
> SR

Uh I thought.. that the image looks wider on the computer because of
displaying the rectangular pixel perspective in a square pixel
environment.
Obviously the TV does not "squish" it's own native signal. It simply
displays the rectangular pixels correctly . It is the computer that
makes it look funny and has to
convert the picture to square pixels in order to display it properly,

Another Jimmy moment. (tomorrow I promise to just read)
Jim