[MacDV] Re: DVD player/TV crops my DVD-R

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Tue Apr 1 23:05:26 PST 2003

Well... yeah, but remember we are talking about "movies" and the aspect
ratio thing is completely different in what is essentially a film
media. All of this is essentially based (at some point) on a typical
MOVIE screen. Traditionally 16:9 (a cropped 35mm  frame - those that
understand this well, correct me if I'm wrong) So once things expand
beyond that primary assumption everything gets confusing.

Crossing over between traditional movies screens, widescreen,
television screen, computer screen etc just muddles the issue.

To the best of my knowledge all of this stuff is based on the 35mm
movie format and then extrapolated for TV, computers etc.

If you look at most design programs they still give you an opportunity
to specify Picas and points. That is a hang over from an old system of
measurement used for typography. I don't know anyone that really works
in picas anymore.

Anyway my point is this; due to an increasing amount of delivery
devices, the relationship between actual size and the actual area of
creation and that of the final display (and how it is specified) have
become much more complicated.

If one assumes that the final version will be displayed on (the worst
case scenario) like a "studio monitor" they are essentially "safe" for
all possible scenarios.

>>> I am not sure what you are seeing but whether you use iMovie or
>>> Final Cut or whatever you are always going to see more of the edges
>>> on the program screen than on the TV.
>>> Always.
>>> That is why they provide the title box indicators in the first
>>> place..
>> I guess what I'm wondering, is why does iDVD even pretend that the
>> data outside the TV safe box might be visible?  Why not just show
>> only the TV safe area, since people mainly watch DVDs on TVs, right?
> Because the amount that gets cropped off is different on every TV.
> Some newer TVs show almost the entire image. Some older TVs might even
> cut off some of the "safe" area.
And some people watch DVDs on computers, or rear projection TVs, or in
home theater overhead projectors... or some people are creating things
that (they hope) might at some point get bumped to film and shown in an
actual projector in an actual "theatre"....
Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599