[MacDV] Charlie White's/Adobe's lies exposed -- by his own magazine!

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 06:14:24 PST 2003

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 01:20  AM, Charles Martin wrote:

> Fact 1. Adobe Premiere is not optimized to use dual processors. AP on
> a dual-proc Mac runs 11% faster than it does on a one-proc Mac. Final
> Cut Pro, on the other hand, runs more than 71% faster.

Which is something I've often asked about when I see some of these
comparisons. I even wrote to White previously asking him if he had done
something as simple as run top in a terminal window or even CPU monitor
to see if he's actually "using" both processors. I've never seen a
response to my inquiry.

To give the "other" view, if running that one app as fast as possible
is an important factor, then you may be better off with a PC. If,
however, there are other applications that are as important, or you
need to be running more than one application at a time, these
benchmarks aren't very meaningful.

As always, the only good benchmark is the one where you sit down and do
the things you want to do in order to compare "speed".

-Mike