[MacDV] Using old machines for DV....

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Apr 5 07:27:29 PST 2003

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 11:51  PM, Nicolas Kinnan wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I presently have an opportunity to pick up one of several old Power
> Macs of the 7500/7600/7300/8500/9500 variety and was thinking of the
> 8500 because it resembles the Quadra 840av I always wanted but never
> had.
>
> If I did get one of these, I am tempted by the notion of turning it
> into a second low end video cutting station via the addition of a fast
> G3 upgrade board and a firewire card.
>
> What I'm wondering is:  Is this a good idea or a waste of time?
> Mainly, I am wondering if the 50MHz bus speed is too narrow a
> bottleneck for using Premiere 6.0 or FCP 2.0 (or even iMovie), or if
> there are other bottlenecks I should know about before embarking on
> this tinker-fest.
>
> I was thinking of, if all went well, putting a G3 board from either
> Sonnet or Powerlogix in it, in either the 400-500MHz range or, money
> permitting, the 800MHz Powerlogix unit.  Does anybody have any
> experiences here with using a mid-nineties Power Mac with this sort of
> upgrade for DV editing?  Naturally, I would be putting in a faster,
> larger SCSI HD for the boot drive and I was thinking of getting a PCI
> ATA card for media drives.
>
> My main goal here is the simple quest for the kick that comes with
> giving an old machine an unexpected new lease on life, but I first want
> to know if it's realistic at all.  I seem to recall seeing messages by
> people doing actual video work on modified 8500/8600s and their
> six-slot brethren, but I can't remember if they said they were having a
> pleasant time of it or not.
>
> The overriding thing here is that I would like to keep this as cheap as
> possible and I would like it to work with my old Palm m100 that does
> not seem to like either my G4 or Jaguar.  If this happens at all, the
> 8500 would be an OS9 only device.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

I have a 9600 with a G3 @400 running 9.1 . iMovie works great as loong as
you have a good fast drive to work it with, Other programs will work too.
I have an orangelink FW USB card, and a Radeon 7000 installed in it.
It will do a lot of stuff and if you go to a 7or800mzG4 should do more.
This setup worked in a 7600 too.
Jim