[MacDV] Re: iDVD Menus

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 08:02:01 PDT 2003

The only thing I can think of that would cause a visual "degradation" of
quality when viewed on a TV is the fact that computers and TVs use
completely different color spaces.  This usually causes images that look
great on a computer monitor to look bad on a TV -- with mids going darker
and light colors getting "blown out", while looking fine when played back on
your computer.  Also, if you use type that's too thin, it will flicker
violently on a TV --  make sure there are no lines thinner than 2 pixels,
and use "block" style type, or if you must use serif fonts, use them at a
point size larger than 40 (at 72 dpi).

Anyway, those are the basic problems.

The only way to really know what your graphics are going to look like on
video is to preview them on a TV/video monitor first.  You can use iMovie or
Final Cut Pro to preview your stills and DVD menus and have the output go
through your DV camcorder/converter to your TV/video monitor.  That will
give you an idea of what the colors will look like.  Now DVDs also use heavy
compression, so if your image is really busy you may see what look like JPEG
artifacts around high-contrast areas of your image...  So you may need to
de-clutter the design a bit if that's the issue.

Hope that helps.

- Mark