[MacDV] Re: Suggestions for sound capture at wedding

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Fri Apr 11 18:49:11 PDT 2003

Are you putting the mike on the stationary, distant, camera (parabolic
reflector, maybe?)? I'm afraid that's what it sounds like from your
description. In that case the sound will be out of synch at the
stationary camera due to the delay due to the speed of sound. The mike
needs to be close to the source: sound travels at around 340 - 350 m/s
(depending on air temperature) so if the distant camera is 100 feet
away it's _very_ roughly 1/10th second out of synch. A separate mike is
a requirement. I ran into this when taping my daughter's orchestra at a
music festival. The CD sounded great, but for the video I had to nudge
the sound over a frame or two to improve the synch - otherwise the
violin bows were moving down before the music started. I resynched by
separating the sound and the video in iMovie, then cut a frame at a
time from the video until it looked right.