[MacDV] Re: Firewire problem

Craig Busch clbusch at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 20:37:14 PDT 2003

I ran into the same thing with my setup.  I could capture to an external ProMax firewire
drive 7200, Oxford chip with no problems in OS9 from my Canon Optura PI.  That is using a
G3 700 iMac.  When I installed OSX, I could not get it to work.  I tried many things-even
experimenting with a G4 machine.  (I thought the problem was the fact that I did not have
a G4).  After all of my research and experimenting, I arrived at the conclusion (with
help) that it is the camera.  I have gone back to OS9 for now.  My understanding is that
having a tower with internal drives would have solved the issue.  So my G4 will be a
tower.  The work around to this is to capture to the internal drive of the computer and
then move the (already) captured files to the firewire drive.  My understanding is that
you can then edit that way.  As I understand it, I would want to move the edited project
back to the internal drive before exporting back to tape.  Eventually you could run into
a defragging issue that would be easier to handle with a tower.
Good luck