[MacDV] Re: Sony TRV30 and data code display

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 08:07:39 PDT 2003

> It has been my experience (with a Canon ZR 40) that the data code
> will remain intact in the exported movie except in those scenes that
> were re-rendered by iMovie (eg., where effects and some types of
> transitions were used).
>
> Other than those exceptions, when I play the edited movie in the
> camcorder, the date/time will be displayed when appropriate (when I
> press the data code button, or for a few seconds when a scene changes
> if the camcorder is configured to do so).

Huh.  Sounds like a cool feature of DV video -- the "Data Code" data is
preserved when transferred to your computer, edited, and played back through
the camcorder.  It's just only visible in the analog realm by running the
stream back through the camcorder and pressing the "Data Code" button and as
the stream is decoded the info is displayed.

I think that makes sense.

- Mark