[MacDV] Re: Hog Heaven: QuickTime Video through FireWire

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 12:20:54 PDT 2003

>> Another cute trick:
>>
>> If you have two Macs available, you can use SimpleVideoOut X
>> to convert .avi, shockwave, divx, etc in real time and import
>> into FCP/FCE/iMovie.
>
> The big question:
>
> What about MPEG-1?

To answer my own question -- MPEG-1 doesn't work properly.  Same stupid
thing as QuickTime conversion -- no audio.  The audio plays through the
Mac's audio out ports, not through the DV camcorder with the video.  I guess
you could physically route the audio outs from your computer and the video
out from your dv camcorder/converter to another recording device, but unless
you have more than one dv camcorder or a converter *and* a camcorder, you
get stuck using a low-quality format like VHS or at best S-VHS (unless you
have access to pro gear like Betacam SP)...  And no matter what your video
drops to the analog realm going from one DV device to another, resulting in
multiple A/D conversions:

Digital -> (D-A conversion) -> Analog -> (A-D conversion) -> Digital

Also, the video playback is HORRIBLE.  Maybe 2-3 fps.  Not quite what I
would call usable.

Maybe a re-compile for my system (10.2.5, QT 6.1.1) would help?  On second
thought, I'm not a programmer so I have absolutely no knowledge on how to do
such a thing...

It's a cool concept, though...

2 cents.

- Mark