What Computer

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Apr 16 22:22:49 PDT 2003

> From: Kathleen <kcruse at cox.net>
>
> Hello,
> My friend is buying an Apple computer because she wants to use iMovie,
> etc. Her 1st project done on my computer is over an hour. She wants to
> by the imac to keep costs down. Will that be sufficiant for her needs
> do you think? Any suggestions I should pass on to her?

Really pretty hard to say based on such a bare description, but I guess
I'd recommend a 15" or 17" flat-panel iMac with Superdrive. An eMac
might also do the job, and costs significantly less, but isn't as cool.
:)

She'll need to keep in mind that as time goes on she will likely need
to buy an external Firewire hard drive to store video projects. This is
a good move because a) the FW hard drives are actually FASTER than the
ones built-in and b) they come in VAST quantities these days for not a
lot of money and c) that keeps your video work off your main system
drive, which is probably a good thing.

_Chas_

New at http://filmmoi.blogspot.com - a review of the Disney documentary
"The Sweatbox." Check it out!